Monday 30 January 2017

Katniss cowl

Last week I shared a picture of another project I'm working on for my friend and cosplayer Ashley-Rae. Little wolf cosplay
This was the first finished part of the cowl/shield worn by Katniss Everdeen in The Huger games Catching fire.
The cowl is made by weaving and plaiting yarn to create a really dense fabric.



 These screen shots are from the film. You can see the part I have made above it the top part of the neck.

I then crocheted into this neck piece to widen it. I had made lots of plaits in different widths and intended to sew these together to form the main body of the piece. As I started to crochet the top I came up with a better idea. I created a full base of crochet with open parts in which I could sew in the plaits.

 This was the base. Its just pinned to Miranda in this. I had made the pieces out of paper first to get the right shape and size, and then crocheted them to fit Ashley-Rae. I then sewed all the plaits onto this base.

 This is the nearly finished cowl. Pinned into place on Ashley-Rae.

 The back.
The finished back.
So this is the finished piece. Its fits perfectly which is good. I am very happy with it and I love how intricate it has turned out. I really enjoyed making it, so much that I was crocheting so fast to get the base pieces finished. I did make this completely free hand but I was thinking about writing a pattern as I made it.

I decided to re make it and simplify it slightly and write a pattern.



So far I have the top part re-done and I've taken step by step photos. I have also recreated all the base pieces and so I just have the plaits to re-make and to sew together. I think the pattern should be ready by the end of the week.

In other news this week I have completed three magazine commissions a have continued to work on my larger commissions of the blanket and rug.

The blanket is now big enough that one of the cats can fit under it. Its a bit of a battle which one get to though. I don't think either of them are happy in this photo.

I haven't updated any patterns this week. I been quite busy. I have added a few new patterns to my etsy shop.

These I had in mind for Chinese new year.
My lucky cats. Pattern has instruction for a large and small cat, plus a pot of gold and is available here £4 (not including VAT)

 Also for Chinese new year, as its the year of the rooster I have added my pot holder pattern. you can find it here and it is only £2.50

Finally this week I have added my Babushka tea cosy pattern to my pattern shop. I plan to release a tea cosy pattern every month this year. you can find the first one here just £3

 Again, thank you to everyone who has bought patterns and left such lovely feedback this week. My holiday fund is growing slowly and its all thanks to you. Love Liz xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment