Monday 14 April 2014

Fairy and food


This week I have finished all my magazine work for the latest set of deadlines so I got to relax a bit and work on my own stuff.

One of the things I really want to do is a tutorial on how to make different types of hair for amigurumi dolls. I'm hoping if i get this done in time it will be my entry in the deramores blog awards. Also quite a few of my upcoming magazine patterns have different hair types and I thought it would be nice to have a area here people can use as a reference to make it easier to make them.

The first part of this is making some new dolls to give hair styles to. The first of these is my spring fairy

This little doll is made from Rico design baby cotton soft DK which comes in a super range of candy pastel shades and is lovely and soft so its really nice to work with for amigurumi. The pattern will be available from my etsy shop later today.
 Next I'm going to work on a pair of doll, a bride and groom. This will be a good opportunity to show boy hair and I think I'll do an up-do for the bride.

Also this week I've had a break from crochet and got some time to hang out with friends. One of my favorite things is cooking for my friends. I love planning what I will cook, pouring over yummy images of food on pinterest and imagining myself as the perfect domestic goddess.


Sorry for the poor pic (he's a camera dodger) this is my gorgeous friend Richard who is helping me build my website. I thought he was in need of a treat so I cooked us a slow roast pork in Chinese spice with noodles and stir fry veg. It was lovely but I think could have done with a bit more fire.

 For pudding I attempted to make profiteroles for the first time.

They turned our ok, but I think that was more by luck and a great recipe from the hairy bikers, than by my baking skills. They are quite a bit bigger than they should have been and I only got 12 out of the mix. Filling them was another bundle of fun as I couldn't find the right nozzles for the right piping bag so was having to make do with a bad fit. Also there is no way of knowing when they were full. I was stood there squeezing for what seem ages. In the end I had to cut one in half to see if it was full. I got the knack in the end eventually and they were great fum to make.

The best part of making these (other than the eating) was piling them up and adorning them with the rich chocolate sauce. The worst part was having to wait till tea time to eat them.

They when down very well and hopefully will be enough of a bribe to keep Richard working on the website.

Just had to add this photo. This is Cal one of my cats and this is her "stop crocheting NOW and play with me look".

Right well I'm itching to get started on my new dolls so I'll leave now and have a quick hop over to handmade Monday before I get hooking away :)


1 comment:

  1. I love your spring fairy, she's very cute. I am also drooling at those profiteroles - yum!

    ReplyDelete