Sunday 17 August 2014

Working weekend

Gosh I'm tired. I haven't moved much in the last 48 hours but I have that lovely feeling that my work is nearly done.

This might not look very interesting but this has been my weekends work. There are three different magazine projects in there just waiting to be sewn up. I used to start and finish a project before I started on the next but as the commissions are coming in thick and fast I've found this is the best and quickest way to get everything done on time.

I can't say much more about these projects till they are printed but see if yu can work out for yourself what that little lot is going to be.

The most challenging thing this weekend has been working with boucle yarn.

This is a textured yarn and so its really difficult to see your stitches and where to go next. Its been a right pig to work with and I've got quite grumpy with it at times. I've been asked to write a tutorial on how to crochet with textured yarn to go with this project so I'm going to try out some tricks to make it easier to explain how to work with it. I think this is a good enough excuse to use the left over yarn to create some more patterns for my etsy shop. I I really want to make a llama pattern :)

My cats Cassi and Cal have been watching over me as I work. I've had a lot of problems with them wanting to sit on or next to me while I'm doing my crochet work. I love them and would be happy for them to be there but they seem to think the yarn, my hook and whatever I'm making are all toys. Somehow I don't think my editors would be happy if  the yarn used to create one of my amigurumi designs has flossed a cat first.

Luckily my tower boxes of yarn have come to my rescue as they now take it in turns to sit on top and watch me.

Cal on Saturday
and Cassi today.

I have now built another pile of boxes so they both have a tower to sleep on so there is no fighting.

 I have another free pattern coming soon. This jam jar cosy will be available next week via Craftseller online (i'll add the link when it goes live).
There is going to be quite a lot of new patterns coming soon and a lot of them will be free. If you have any requests please leave me a comment. I'm always looking for new ideas. (Mum if your reading this I know you want your beaded lace milk jug cover, I've not forgotten, I'll be working on it soon xxx)

My other little pet project is this space invaders inspired cushion. Its made from little squares each about 3cm sq. I've a way to go as it takes lots of squares but they only take 4 mins each to make (I timed myself). Its gonna be a big floor cushion. I'd like to make a set of three but that might be pushing my spare time at the mo..

So that's it from me this week. Its time for a well earned glass of wine and a cuddle with my kittys, while I hop over to handmade monday and catch up on my fellow crafters blogs

5 comments:

  1. The need for two towers for two cats is a great excuse for lots of yarn ;) Looks like you are being highly productive, have a good week (with some rest!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are enjoying the wine and a rest. I can empathise with the kittens wanting to distract you. My dog hates it when I prefer making jewellery to having him sleep on my knee! Luckily he prefers ripping apart his own toys to playing with beads.

    Have a great crafty week,
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea to have two towers for the cats - it ensures you keep enough stock to make their towers equal! Well done being so in demand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The new projects look very intriguing. I had to ban one of my cats from my craft room, as I found her curled up in one of my wool boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have a lot of yarn! My cat thinks my knitting is her toy too. It looks like you've been very very busy making as well.

    ReplyDelete